Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Zen Space: The Office

Everyone needs a space they can go to meditate and perform other magical workings, but everyone also needs a harmonious space to work on day to day matters. Whether you work from home or have a job elsewhere, if you have a desk, you can make it more peaceful and productive. I redo mine once a year to start fresh. 

For me, this happens in December because one of the things I do is teach English online at a local Community College. The semester ends in December, so this is the perfect time to recreate my Zen space. This is when I do the fall cleaning and rededication of the office space to prepare for the coming of the spring as we begin the journey back to spring and growth.

My little u-shaped office area is my Zen space for work. The jewelry table sits next to the windows, on one side, with a table for paperwork or drawing on the other. Between the two tables at the end, sits the computer. Everything I need, to do almost anything I do, is in this space. I spend more time here than anywhere else in the house, so it's crucial to me that the space feel good and I feel good in it. 

What I don’t know, is how on earth the desks/tables get piled so high with “stuff.” I keep trying to move to a paperless office, but the mail seems determined to bury us all in papers, and somehow, all electronic devices, cords, plugs, chargers, etc. seem to land on my desk. To be fair, most of it is my "stuff," but it builds up to such a point that I feel like I’m drowning. At this point, usually about once a year, it's time for a fresh start.



Whether you have a home office, or an 'office' office or any other kind of space you can make your own, the more personalized and personally charged the space is for you, the more productive you will be in it. Plan your space as much as you can within your space. If possible, you might even want to sketch it out if that helps you visualize what you want.

For me, the hardest part of going through this process each year is sitting down and sorting the mail. However, other than having the space completely ready, it’s the one that makes me feel most accomplished. Next is finding a place for all those little bits and pieces, generally related to technology, that build up on the desk. Finally, decisions about exactly which books must remain on the desk and which can go to the shelf take place. This must happen in steps, or it doesn’t happen.

Once this all happens, I smudge the whole room, especially the desk area, and set up my stones. Part of what I include in my design for the space is the placement of specific stones and desk materials to enhance productivity and creativity. Since the jewelry table takes up one side, you might think I have plenty of stones around me, but jewelry stones, even though cleansed and charged, are not a part of the permanent energy of the space, so I use a few special stones that help energize me and boost creativity and productivity.

My first choice in stones usually includes Malachite, Citrine, and Tiger’s Eye for confidence and balancing the solar plexus chakra. The solar plexus chakra is the energy center of the body, so I want it strong and balanced. We get so caught up in our day to day lives sometimes we neglect ourselves and our need to balance our energy. These stones boost the energy in the area to make maintaining this balance easier.


Next time we’ll talk about the rest of the stones I use and how I finish out the space.  Maybe it will give you some ideas for your space. If you have ideas on Zen spaces you'd like to share, please leave us a comment, or send us a message.




No comments:

Post a Comment